Friday, May 25, 2007

Jim Trelease Would Be Proud

I know I am. My friend Lissa gives an insightful, well-educated, very readable opinion concerning the palaver between Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings and Jon Stewart. Here is a quote:

"Secretary Spellings is working from within a framework that says good reading skills are the first step to becoming educated. I'm coming from the opposite direction: what comes first is not reading, but being read to. I really wanted to jump up and call out to her: Couldn't you just try it? Try reading the children excellent literature? Lots and lots of it? Put the tests away for a year and just see what happens when you read to them a great deal of fine prose and poetry?"

Read the rest and see the video here: "Can We Educate Every American Child?"

No comments: